Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Going Primal Like a Cavewoman



At this morning's CrossFit workout, Brady mentioned that he'll soon be challenging us to try the Primal Diet for 7 weeks. He's a firefighter and super fit-and-strong at 43 years old, so I know his advice is useful and will work. The Primal Diet sounds simple. Eat whole, fresh foods, limit processed foods, and reduce carbohydrate intake. According to this article on LiveStrong, "Accelerated fat loss requires a carb count of under 50 grams a day."

If you watched the video, you know why we call it a "primal" way of eating. Because we're eating like cavewomen (or men). Before grocery stores and ovens, primal women (or men) were hunters and gatherers. The theory is that our bodies have not adapted to processed dairy or grains, and therefore a healthier and leaner way to live is to cut them out altogether. However, I'm not going to be hunting my own meat (although I'll let my dad hunt for our fish, at least), or starting my own vegetable garden (my yard doesn't get enough sunlight), so I'll be adapting to modern hunting and gathering: the grocery store and farmer's market.

The first thing I did (after showering and picking up my adorable little 16 month old, Audrey) was head to the grocery store to gather my fresh foods. My fridge is now bursting with vegetables and I have an Affordable Kosher order arriving in the morning filled with proteins. And to top that all off , I still have some of my dad's Nootka Sound salmon airtight and sitting in my freezer, and tastes just as amazing after 6 months as it did the first day.

Anybody else out there want to go primal, too?

No comments:

Post a Comment