Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Love Story

Let me introduce you all to my new favorite friend: Chobani!

They're new ad campaign is called "A Love Story" for a reason...I'm in love! It really does induce the same experience of mmmmm as a decadent piece of chocolate cake. Nonfat Chobani is a Greek yogurt with an amazing 14 grams of protein in each serving! My personal favorite is the pomegranate fruit-on-the-bottom, which has actual pom seeds in it. For anyone who's ever had a cup of Red Mango frozen yogurt, it's like eating that for breakfast...and the occasional afternoon snack. Professional skinny girl Bethenny Frankel eats Greek yogurt for breakfast, with a great video instructional on putting together a healthy breakfast.

I've always eaten a cup of nonfat yogurt before working out, but Chobani has so much protein and is so delicious that it really gives me more endurance for exercise. Especially yesterday, when I was the last one to show up at MKG and I was the 9th person, making the pairs uneven. And Nicole, the toughest instructor at Max10, had me do every exercise twice to even things out. I know it was tough, but it was soooo worth it. I should be the last person to show up every day!

As for the rest of my meals, I would, of course, rather eat a balanced amount of non-fat healthy protein-filled foods than eat small amounts of pointless nutrition-free foods. But I'm having a hard time including whole grains, since carbs and starches of any kind are my weakness. They're my gateway drug to bagels and pasta, and it's going to take some time before I'm comfortable including them in my daily diet without feeling tempted to boil up a pot of spaghetti and drown it in cheese. So don't push me to start steaming up some brown rice! I'll get there eventually.

So far, today, I've been great. I'm using the Biggest Loser model as much as I can. Today for breakfast was nonfat Chobani with raspberries. After a tough work out, my snack was a serving of raisins. I should have including protein but I was jumping in the shower and had to get back to the baby. But I more than made up for it with lunch by doubling up on the scrambled egg beaters, mixing in chopped veggies and a dash of hot sauce. And my afternoon snack: plain coffee and a nonfat Chobani with blueberries. My plan for dinner is halibut  and brussel sprouts. I'm looking for seasoning suggestions for the halibut. Thank you Dad for catching it, freezing it, and giving me some...but I'm on my last package, so you'd better get back to fishing! And on the Biggest Loser model, I'm not allowed to eat anything else at all for the rest of the day except for dinner. My favorite way to stave off hunger caused by my simple love of food is to drink tea. Sometimes we think we're hungry when we're really just thirsty, and drinking water or tea satiates us. Also, warm beverages aid in digestion and help us feel fuller faster, so drinking tea or plain coffee immediately after a meal is a great idea. If you're drinking caffeinated tea, that's an added bonus to weight loss. So wish me luck for the rest of the day, people! And don't forget I'm looking for healthy halibut recipes!

Biggest Loser Daily Diet:
Breakfast: 1/2 serving protein, 1 serving whole grain, 1 serving fruit
Snack: 1/2 protein, 1 fruit
Lunch: 1 protein, 1/2 whole grain, 1 vegetable
Snack: 1/2 protein, 1 fruit
Dinner: 1/2 protein, 1/2 whole grain, 2 vegetables

3 comments:

  1. Amazing halibut recipe from Rachael Ray! I made it for dinner using tilapia and it was so good. http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/rachael-ray-30-minute-meals/Crunchy-Pepper-and-Parm-Crusted-Halibut-with-Cherry-Tomato-Basil-Sauce

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was inspired to purchase many Chobani yogurts. (10/$10!) I'm taking your word for it that they're as good as you claim. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely won't be disappointed! Great price, by the way. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete