Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Ow, I'm Short.

I am very sore...and bruised.

Today at MAX10, there was an incongruous proportion of tall and short people. When everyone had been paired off by height, the tallest and the shortest (me, of course) were left. I desperately looked at my instructor Manolito to switch us around. I couldn't imagine how I would hold focus mitts for a women who was at least a foot taller than me! But Manolito told me it would make my work-out more intense, so I gave it my best shot. By the end of the first round of crosses and hooks, my shoulders were burning from holding my hands at my partner's head level. I'm just over 4 feet 10 inches, by the way. It was like partnering a full-grown adult with a child.

Then came side-kicks to the ribs, and I held the pads as high as I could. My forearms burned. To make it worse, my partner kept kicking me in the elbow instead of kicking the pads. Really? I mean, really?! "Ow," I said over and over. But she kept kicking, determined to make my teeth rattle. Finally I just broke down and told her, "Really, you're genuinely hurting me during a practice drill." In my head I told myself this better be worth it. I haven't lost an ounce since last week and now I'm bruised and burning.

I guess I'll have to wait and see. This week has been a tough week at MAX10 at MKG Seattle. Yesterday was Slade's first day instructing...and yes, his name is really Slade. Slade likes to mix up the cardio with the strength training. Alternating burpees, jumping rope, and lifting weights was how we started the class...and that was just the warm-up. Tomorrow is Mary's day, and Mary is super-tough. This new combination of extreme training should reap great results!!!

In the meantime, however, Purim is this weekend and our house will be filled with candy and treats. I'm definitely going to be using what I've named the Chicken Breast Technique.

In the meantime, my Public Accountability concept has been working. My friends call me out when they see me picking the wrong food. Their excuse is that I asked them to do it...here...on my blog. I wonder what else I can ask everyone to do for me to help me lose weight?

No comments:

Post a Comment