Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Public Accountability

On MTV's I Used To Be Fat, recent high school graduates who are overweight spend the summer working out so that when they start college in the Fall, they will be able to say with confidence, "I used to be fat!" These teens lose anywhere from 50 to 90 pounds in one summer! And on The Biggest Loser, contestants ranging from just-past-chubby to the morbidly obese lose weight by working out constantly and competing in physical challenges. Unlike Double Dare, nobody's reaching up an enormous nose or sliding on green slime. But like the kids' show that made Marc Summers a household name, the contestants are, in fact, smiling. Why are they smiling? Because they have internalized the concept that pain is fat leaving the body.

The phenomenon of losing weight in the public eye has opened up a new concept for me in my attempt at finally losing the baby weight...public accountability. And since I won't be on a reality weight-loss show anytime soon because I'm simply not large enough to apply, I'll be using the internet to keep myself accountable!

Of course I also have to consider the other concept...public embarrassment. I'm announcing my weight loss goals to everyone. Think about it. An ex-boyfriend could be reading this right now, or a girl who hated me in high school. But the truth is I was always on the ever-so-slightly-chubby side, only now it's plainly obvious and I'm sick and tired of it. It's more embarrassing to be chubby than it is to announce it and lose the weight. So believe it or not (and I'd rather you not believe it), I currently weigh 157 pounds.


Feeling good at my sister-in-law's wedding.



Quick background: I live in Seattle, I just turned 30, I have 3 kids (3 c-sections), and I'm married to a man who can lose 10 pounds simply by cutting out soda pop for a few weeks. I'm an Orthodox Jew, which means there's a lot of food all of the time. Every weekend and holiday is filled with food.

I had considered making my weight loss goal 30 pounds, but why not really go for it and commit to my ultimate goal of taking off 40 pounds! So here goes...

My weight loss goal: 40 pounds.

5 comments:

  1. Good for you Jessica!! You are inspiring me already and I still have 3 weeks till my due date. Good luck with your journey. Just take one day at a time.
    -Sarah Cohen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah, b'shaah tovah on the baby! One day at a time is a good mantra that I'll be using!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're about to embark on an amazing, scary, and often times frustrating version. What diet plan do you plan on following? For added support, you should really join out Life on the Beach group on Facebook that I'm a part of. You don't have to be on the South Beach diet to join. It's for every person who is looking for a support with which to lose weight and be held accountable.
    -Aliza

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey there...you are very courageous to go public, i am very impressed!!! but growing up you were not always on the chubby side and i have pix to prove it! The pregnancies did it and like many people with young kids in the house and yummy snacks..its hard to find the time to exersize and watch what you eat!
    I know you can do it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mom! You should comment all the time, you're very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete